One thing about fashion trends is that they would keep evolving and while some of us want to look fab in trendy new pieces, it can be challenging to navigate the do’s and don’ts of wedding guest attire sometimes. You may be attending a beach wedding, black-tie affair, or the likes, but find it overwhelming to figure out what to wear and how to dress appropriately for the occasion.
It’s quite easy to know that a black-tie wedding would require a formal gown, while a beach wedding might call for a more casual sundress. But then, what dresses would be considered inappropriate even when adhering to the dress code? Let’s find out!
In this article, we will explore some of the latest trends in wedding guest dresses and share tips on proper dress etiquette as a wedding guest. We included details on how to look your best while adhering to the wedding dress codes from traditional wedding attire to contemporary styles.
Table of Contents
Wedding Guest Dressing Etiquette
Wedding ceremonies are special occasions, and as a guest, it’s important to dress appropriately to show respect for the couple on their special day. Here are some etiquette guidelines to follow when choosing a wedding guest outfit:
1. Dress Code:
This is topping the list because we can’t talk about dressing appropriately without finding out what the occasion calls for. You can check the wedding invitation or ask the couple for the dress code before choosing your outfit. If it’s going to be a formal wedding, then you may start considering a long dress, a blazer dress, or a blazer jacket and dress pants. For a beach wedding, more casual sundresses are ideal. If a dress code wasn’t specified, then you can dress up in some stunning pieces, keeping in mind the tips we would mention below.
2. Avoid White:
Generally, it is considered inappropriate for guests to wear white to a wedding; the color is traditionally reserved for the bride. Although some modern couples are fine with guests wearing white, it’s best to err on the side of caution and choose a different color. Some color combinations that work well together for wedding guests include pastels and jewel tones.
3. Respect Religious and Cultural Customs:
When attending a religious or cultural wedding ceremony, it’s important to respect the couple’s customs and dress appropriately. In some religious ceremonies, you may be required to cover your head and shoulders, so make sure to find out about these customs beforehand and dress accordingly.
4. Don’t Be Too Revealing:
A wedding guest dress can still look dapper without appearing too revealing or flashy. A wedding is a formal event, and it’s important to dress more conservatively. This is especially important if the wedding is in a religious setting. And even if it’s not, tone down the amount of cleavage and skin you want to show, so you don’t outshine the bride.
5. Comfortable Shoes:
No one talks about this much but a wedding event can be a long day to not feel comfortable. There would be a lot of standing and dancing, so if you want to wear high heels, carry along your flats or low heels so you can easily make a switch.
6. Consider the Weather:
If the wedding is outdoors in an extreme season, it’s important to dress for the weather. You can bring along a shawl or jacket if it would be chilly, or wear breathable fabrics on hot summer days.
7. Be Mindful of Accessories:
Your accessories as a wedding guest are only to add a nice touch to your outfit, DO NOT overdo it. Avoid wearing anything too flashy or distracting, and make sure your accessories complement your outfit rather than overpower it.
The Latest Trends in Wedding Guest Dresses
Now we’ve gone through the major tips for dressing appropriately at weddings, let’s dive in and discover some trendy looks that you may want to try out for the ultimate fashion statement.
- Bold Colors like bright red, fuchsia, and emerald green are a popular trend this year, you’re sure to make a statement in them.
- Floral Prints are always in style for weddings, but this year’s trend features large, bold blooms in bright colors.
- Metallic dresses, sequins, and rhinestones add a touch of glamour to any wedding guest outfit. This year’s trend features shiny silver, gold, and rose gold hues.
- Capes can be worn as a standalone statement piece or paired with a simple dress for a dramatic effect. They are a unique trend that you can pull off.
- Sheer fabrics add a touch of elegance and romance to wedding guest dresses. Delicate lace and tulle overlays are popular options. Just be careful so you don’t overdo the look.
- Off-the-Shoulder dresses are a classic trend that’s still going strong this year. They’re perfect for showing off your shoulders and adding sleek notes to your outfit.
- Jumpsuits are a chic and comfortable alternative to dresses. This year’s trend features bold prints, wide-leg cuts, and unique detailing like ruffles and cutouts.
By following these wedding guest dressing etiquettes and incorporating some of these latest trends into your wedding guest outfit, you’ll be sure to turn heads, look and feel your best, and make a statement, while showing respect for the couple. If you’re in doubt about whether you can find a dress that meets all these specifics, we recommend you should from SunsetFashionLA. They have a wide range of trendy wedding guest dresses that are budget-friendly and still look great. You can also shop for accessories to pair them with from the store.