Although green is known to be a relaxing colour, dark green can feel a bit moody at times. So if you’ve got a dark green dress in your closet that you feel like you need help styling, we’re here to help. Dark green comes in many shades and is a versatile colour that looks great in any season. Whether it’s olive, forest or emerald, there are many ways to style it for every occasion, from work-friendly to date night.
Please scroll down for our best tips on choosing a dark green dress!
The first step is to determine what kind of dark green dress fits your body type. If you have an apple-shaped figure, an A-line or princess cut attire is recommended. You can also try a halter top to show your shoulders and neckline. An empire line or fit-and-flare dress will work well if you have a pear-shaped figure. Any style will work well with this body type if you have a rectangle-shaped figure!
The next step is deciding what color will go best with your skin tone and hair color.
Lighter Skin Tones
Dark green dresses look best on women with light or tan skin tones and light brown hair colors like blonde or redhead.
For Medium Skin Tones
A darker shade of dark green dress will look best on you if you have medium or tan skin tones and medium brown hair colors like brown or chestnut.
For Darker Skin Tones
For deeper skin tones, we recommend wearing darker shades of green. A dark green looks great with black hair colors. But if you have darker hair and lighter skin tones, you may prefer a more blue-toned green such as emerald or teal. This will complement your natural skin tone better than a more yellowish hue.
If you’re unsure what shade of green works best for your skin tone, try holding up a dress to your face while standing in front of a mirror. If it brings out the natural glow in your complexion and makes your eyes sparkle, you’ve found the right shade!
Tips on styling a dark green dress
- Pair it with a white blouse or a striped top for a casual, put-together look. For example, try wearing a dark green dress with a crisp, white button-down shirt underneath and tan flats for a polished appearance. If you want to wear the clothing casually, you can pair it with a striped shirt in black and white or blue and white.
- Wear your dark green dress with black tights and booties for a fall or winter look. You can also add black accessories, like a belt, handbag, necklace, or bracelet. If you are wearing opaque black tights and the weather is freezing outside, you might want to wear boots instead of booties if you plan to be outside for an extended period.
- Wear your dark green dress with ballet flats or pumps in the spring or summer. You can choose neutral shoes in tan or black if you want your outfit to be more subtle. However, if you’re going to make your outfit more vibrant, pair the dress with red heels or yellow flats. If you want to add a bit of individuality to your ensemble, choose a pair of shoes with some embellishment or detailing on them.
- Accessorize your outfit with jewelry in silver and gold tones to add subtle elegance. Try adding some fun accessories such as colorful scarves or jewelry pieces to make your outfit stand out from others’ outfits around you! This would help create some visual interest. That might not otherwise be there if all the clothing items were plain colors like gray or brown.
- Use it with a light-colored casual cardigan or sweater on top of it. However, make sure that the sweater is not too tight around your waist area so that you look pregnant. Also, make sure that it is not too short so that it doesn’t show off your belly when you sit down.
- Pull your hair back off your face if it is long. You will look very polished and elegant this way. Perhaps pull it back into a sleek ponytail. If your hair is shorter, style it so that the hair is smoothed down and away from your face.
Different Types of Dark Green Dresses for Different Occasions
Keep things exciting and fun by wearing a dark green dress. Dark green is a go-to color for many women because it looks great on almost everyone and for every occasion. Show off your legs with a mini-dress or if you want to keep things conservative, opt for a long sleeve maxi. You can also choose from various silhouettes, including mermaid, A-line, fit & flare and sheath. Women in dark green dresses will always look fabulous no matter what style you choose!
If you’re looking for something casual, look at simple jersey-fit midi dresses in dark green. They’re simple yet stylish and come in a range of sleeve lengths and necklines. You can choose something that suits your personal style. A short-sleeved fit-and-flare dress is perfect for a weekend picnic or strolls around the park. Or choose a long-sleeved number with added details such as frill-trim sleeves and a cowl neckline.
This type of dark green dress has overlapping fabric panels wrapped around the waist and fastened with a belt or tie. It looks great on women with pear, apple or large bust-shaped bodies. These dresses come in various lengths, fabrics and prints. You can wear them to the office, cocktail parties, date nights and more.
Formal or Semi-Formal Dresses
For formal and semi-formal occasions, you can wear a dark green evening gown, cocktail dress or party dress in a dark shade of emerald green that will make you look stunning. If you have fair skin and light hair. It is recommended to avoid wearing a dark green dress with too much black, as this can make your skin look ashen.
A dark green dress is one of the most versatile and flattering pieces in any woman’s closet. There is nothing you can’t do with this color. As a warm neutral color, green can be the main focus of an outfit, or it can be used to add accents of color when worn with neutrals. As such, it’s a versatile color that comes in many shades and hues. Dark green is a popular choice for dresses due to its sophisticated look. The color goes well with many other colors, including metallic shades and some neutrals. Depending on the occasion and dress style, a dark green dress can be donned up or down.